ACE Mod Gallery

ACEOnline Mod Gallery

HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Considering releasing repacker publicly

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
timthetortoise
Mod File Artist

PostSubject: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:26 pm

I don't really have the time to keep up with requests for IDs, and am thinking about pulling off security from the repacker and popping a link on the extractor page. I'm not exactly sure what effect this would have and would like some thoughts on it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gimpy

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:34 pm

would suggest large red text DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE FUCKING DOING
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Echoes

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:53 pm

i liked when it was open.
there was more mod when you had it open, but once you locked it up this site had less stuff uploaded :/
but thats just me V:
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CalciumDeposit
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:36 pm

I was thinking, maybe you could release an application version of the packer/extractor, cuz all that random shit getting uploaded has to be hell on your bandwidth
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://acemod.highbb.com
timthetortoise
Mod File Artist

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:20 pm

It's actually not bad, I believe the server caches a lot of the files so it's mainly upstream. Haven't gotten close to the bandwidth cap yet :V
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Joymoose

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:11 am

I'm liking this thread.

Maybe I would start modding if this were to happen D:

SEPH MODS FOR ALL monkey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ibg4y

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:03 pm

i think gimpy has a point so make it public but only like post files that youve tested personally/tell echo that all mods posted on this site are legit ALL OTHERS NOT POSTED ON THIS SITE are invalid/may receive infractions so that way anyone can mod but theyll have to go through you guys first....this way echo doesnt have to track down people who try to mess with game files for personal gain etc i think this is the best option...just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
View user profile
xwidghet

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:11 pm

Make it so people can register, and must login to use it. That way if someone is abusing it/doing things that could get our moding ability removed, you could ban them off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beedoo

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm

xwidghet wrote:
Make it so people can register, and must login to use it. That way if someone is abusing it/doing things that could get our moding ability removed, you could ban them off.

This sounds like a pretty good idea.
I believe that releasing it publicly will help people like me, that only know how to use the "hue/saturation" and "save as" functions on photoshop, do their own modding/optimizations.
I also believe that not releasing it isn't a good solution to avoid abuse on the long-term. People will find ways regardless of that. And it being open will just help us figure it out beforehand and try to prevent/identify problems as they come.

Maybe.

EDIT: And why are these forums dead? Nothing new in a while :C
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timthetortoise
Mod File Artist

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:43 am

Seeing that interface.tex is locked down on NAAO now, I don't believe that releasing it or not releasing it will make a difference at this point. Probably opening the floodgates tonight so people can have a bit of fun with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beedoo

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:19 pm

timthetortoise wrote:
Seeing that interface.tex is locked down on NAAO now, I don't believe that releasing it or not releasing it will make a difference at this point. Probably opening the floodgates tonight so people can have a bit of fun with it.

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timthetortoise
Mod File Artist

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:34 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Beedoo

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:08 am

timthetortoise wrote:
http://dev.savethen.org/packobj.php

Now public.
Enjoy.

Thank you very much. I'm already rocking my pink/less laggy RE animation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
sysmic

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:12 pm

omg thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that really helps!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Considering releasing repacker publicly   

Back to top Go down

Considering releasing repacker publicly
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1